The minimal membership criteria are as follows:
- The individual must be recognized by his or her peers in the immediate area as having a profitable, ethical, well-managed practice known to provide high quality veterinary medical services.
- Be owner or managing partner in the practice they represent.
- Be currently active in the practice with leadership experience as a principal manager.
- The geographical location of the practice market area must not coincide with or overlap any current member of the VMG under consideration.
The obligations of each member are as follows:
- Collect and report data periodically utilizing a standard chart of accounts.
- Attend required biannual meetings.
- Respect and adhere to the confidentiality requirements.
- Commit to the success of the study group and an open exchange of ideas and sharing "best practices".